Strengthening Communities for 160 Years
The Y is a diverse organization of men, women and children joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility.
Our members reach more than 21 million people spread across more than 2,600 Y associations nationwide. Since no two communities are exactly alike, no two Y’s are exactly alike. We bring men, women, and children – just like you together – and our shared commitment to our communities ensures the opportunities to learn, grow and thrive that we create for all are ones that endure.
While our programs and facilities are always based on the unique needs and interests of our communities, every Y has one thing in common: our people. The volunteers, staff, members, and donors of the Y are all united by a deep commitment to strengthen our communities.
Join us – we could use someone like you.
The Y is the organization that…
- Has served the military and military families in every U.S. conflict since the Civil War.
- Inspired the formation of the USO, Peace Corps and Father’s Day.
- Met immigrants coming off the boats at Ellis Island to offer services and support in making a new life.
- Began the first night school and English as a Second Language courses.
- Invented group swimming lessons, basketball, volleyball and racquetball, and gave them to the community.
- Provides quality and affordable child care when women began joining the workforce in droves.
- Began values education at a time of social unrest.